Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Whipped Butternut Squash

 If you're a gardener, you know what I'm talking about here:  It's January, there's snow up to your knees (if you live in the north), and the seed catalogs arrive.  And before you know it, you're ordering things you've never grown and that you don't know how to prepare. 

"I'll figure that out when it ripens," you think.  "But that looks darn fun to grow!"

And that's how I ended up growing butternut squash, creating a bit of a panic attack when about a dozen of the lovely little guys started ripening this week, and I had no idea what to do with them.

Enter whipped butternut squash, perhaps one of my new favorite side dishes.  It is kind of a cross between mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes in flavor, for those who haven't had it, and I'm looking forward to using this recipe to top a shepherd's pie.  In the meantime, this dish delivers a punch of vitamin A that makes growing the squash worthwhile.  Best of all, winter squash cellars well, so I can cure the rest of these babies and put them downstairs, awaiting the day this winter that I need a yummy side dish while I read the seed catalogs.

Whipped Butternut Squash

1.  Cut 2 butternut squash in half and remove seeds for next year's crop.  Place cut side down in baking dishes filled with about an inch of water.  Bake at 350 until soft, about 35 minutes for the squash I had.
2.  Scoop out the flesh into a bowl.  Add about a quarter cup of scalded milk and a quarter cup of brown sugar.  Whip with your mixer until creamy.
3.  Top with a mixture of butter and brown sugar to taste. As this topping sinks in, it gets even yummier, so leftovers are wonderful!

The Analysis

Fast:  Although about 45-50 minutes elapsed during prep, most was baking the squash.  And luckily, Mr. FC&G was around to do the hard work of cutting a winter squash.

Cheap:  I can't wait to tally the profit on this crop, because these fruits come in heavy and meaty, and you get a lot of veggie product for a very little investment.  This recipe requires only the milk, butter, and brown sugar to taste.

Good:  I really like this recipe, and I would also suggest it for those who like mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes but need or want to get another veggie in their diet.
Pin It!

2 comments :

  1. a quarter cup of baking soda in the squash? is that a mistake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, crud! You are right. Brown sugar! They both start with "b- s-," right? Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete