Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How Much Does a Garden Grow: January


Welcome back to "How Much Does a Garden Grow!"  This month, we begin looking at the garden from a business perspective. 

Expenditures:
1/23     Burpee seed order          $54.35
1/23     Seeds of Change order   $24.49
Total Expenditures:  $78.84

As expected, the year starts off with expenditures in the form of seed orders.  I'm not quite done, either.  I want to make an order from Seed Savers Exchange, and I will no doubt buy some plants and onion starts later in the year.  I also need to buy some seed starting medium.  All of that will count as expenditure.  (Note:  I am only tallying expenditures that get "used up."  Capital improvements, like new fencing or tools, will count as household improvements and not be in our accounting.)

This year, I have been able to get many more heirlooms than ever before.  As always, there are some seeds that I want that are hybrids, and I don't have a problem with that as long as they aren't GMOs.  But I am trying to get as many open pollenated heirlooms as possible, both to preserve historic varieties and to allow me to save my own seed.

Harvest/Income
1 oz. lettuce:  approx. value $0.50
Total Income:  $0.50

Also as anticipated, there are very few harvests in January.  I was able to get a decent lettuce harvest one night, but everything is pretty much dormant in the cold weather and short days.  We are mostly working on our canned and frozen supplies at this point, although we are now buying potatoes and onions.

2012 Tally to Date
0.0625 lbs. harvested
-$78.34 loss to date
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment