Friday, February 14, 2014

How Much Does a Garden Grow: January 2014



January starts off as it always does:  a flurry of seed catalogs and a blanket of snow on the ground, which means my "microfarm" garden starts off running a deficit for seeds and soil.  This year, I'm spreading the seed-buying love around a little more, with orders from Burpee, Seeds of Change, Seed Savers Exchange, and Cook's Garden.  I can't wait to see what some of the new varieties bring.  I spent more on seeds and supplies this year than last, which I attribute to somewhat higher prices, plus the fact that I had to order a few more plants than normal to accommodate a seedling-season vacation that will prevent me from growing everything I might want to grow from seed.  However, I feel the "professionally" grown plants perform better for me, especially the tomatoes, so I'm not sorry.

Unlike last year, this year's garden also started the year with some harvests!  I harvested some fresh rosemary and a few ounces of fresh organically-grown greens.  I checked the organic greens price in my local store, and I was surprised by how much it has increased since my last price check.  With organic greens now running $0.88 an ounce, it makes more sense than ever to grow as much of my own as possible.

Cumulative Totals
Total Ounces Harvest: 4 
Pounds: 0.25

Total Value of Harvest: $3.38
Expenditures: -195.31
Total: -$191.93 
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment