Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How Much Does a Garden Grow: April 2014

So, this photo you see is not our garden.  Instead, it is the beautiful deck at the condo we rented in Key West. It served as my office for two weeks, and it is part of the reason that the April gardening totals are so low.

Before we took off for our vacation/work experiment, we harvested a couple of key limes that came in at an ounce apiece, and an ounce of lettuce from our long-suffering lettuce bed.  We are more than due to take out the remaining lettuce crop and start a summer batch.

However, the small harvest of April was more than offset by the learning.  We were gone for three weeks, and I was terrified that I would come back to a total garden mess.  Instead, the potatoes in both the containers and the trench had each grown over a foot (and were more than ready for supplemental soil), the carrots were doing well, the peppers in their large containers were thriving when we returned, and I had so many volunteer tomatoes that I plan an afternoon just to sort those out.  I think the lesson is that I should be hog-tied during the last week of April and first week of May, just to keep my hands off the garden so things can grow at their own pace.

So, hopefully April will be the penultimate month for really marginal harvests.  May will bring more expenditures, and then June should be our chance to start building toward profitability!

Cumulative Totals
Total Ounces Harvest: 20
Pounds: 1.25

Total Value of Harvest: $13.04
Expenditures: -212.21
Total: $199.17
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment