Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Regrowing Leeks

Late winter is a dangerous time to be in our house. It seems I'll plant anything that reasonably looks like it might grow, and  few things that certainly won't.

As we've discussed before, there are several things from the grocery store you can plant to get more of the original plant. I've done this with romaine lettuce for a couple of years; true, I don't get a lot of lettuce that way before the new plant gives up the ghost, but I always get a handful of new leaves to put on sandwiches.  This amuses me greatly.

The next possibility I've tried is leeks, and they are wonderful.  Just retain the bottom of an organic leek with its roots, and pop it shallowly in some dirt.  It quickly sends up a new crop of leaves.

The plant grows quickly; this plant you see at the right is about ten days' worth of growth from using the original leek in a recipe.  I doubt it will give me a full size leek, but I'll bet I can harvest a few cuttings of leaves to add some onion-y flavor to a dish or two!

The Analysis

Fast:  Plants fast and grows fast; a winning combo!

Cheap:  Considering the alternative was to throw the leek end in compost, this is a net food cost savings no matter how little I harvest.

Good:  Totally free food is always a plus, and this is also a great project to do with your kids or with brand-new gardeners.  (Or with experienced ones who are going crazy in the winter....)
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment