Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Sustainable Bookshelf: Holiday Gift Edition

As part of my series Do Something Sustainable for the Holidays, I thought I would present you with a roundup of my favorite sustainability books.  These are some of the ones that I want in hard copy on my shelf just in case I'm ever without the ability to use the internet or an e-reader, although you certainly could buy an e-reader version or check them out from the library if you are wanting to be even more frugal.  However, I think any one of them, in hard copy, could make a great gift for the sustainably-minded on your list.


Mini-Farming:  Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre is my new gift for myself.  It covers the basics of space-conscious gardening, seed saving, preserving, and raising chickens for meat and eggs.  While it is not an exhaustive resource for a beginner, it does serve as a kind of catalog of what can be done in a very small space, allowing the reader to choose the projects he or she wishes to attempt.  It also makes a subtle but compelling case that those of us on suburban lots could sustain ourselves by our own efforts if the need arose.








The Omnivore's Dilemma is the classic of the modern sustainability movement, and it presents a highly-readable and in-depth argument against the modern food establishment and toward a greater connection with what we eat.  In spite of the indictments against some of our society's agricultural misdeeds, it emerges as an optimistic account of the things we can do to live more sustainably and reap more enjoyment in the process.  This is a winter must-read, if only because it will have you reading the seed catalogs and dreaming of your spring efforts.








Speaking of things that have you jonesing for spring, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle remains one of my favorite books.  In fact, it spends whole weeks sitting on the ottoman where I can reach it and read the bits associated with either my current season or the season I wish I were in.  The book is organized into months and accounts a year in the Kingsolver family's life as they attempt to live nearly solely off the products of their own land and community.  However, unlike some of the "stunt journalism" that sets a writer up to live sustainably with very little experience or knowledge, these folks aren't kidding:  they've farmed for years.  Therefore, there is very little angst and a lot of joy described here. 







Think you can't sew?  If you have a sewing machine and can run a fairly straight stitch, you can do most of the projects in this book.  Projects range from the simple (like napkins and pillowcases) to the slightly-more-intermediate (wrap skirts and PJ pants).  Patterns are included.  I love this book for the inspiration it gives me for projects to try with a yard or two of remnant fabric and a couple of hours, tops.








Stitch 'n Bitch taught me to knit, plain and simple.  After years of trying to knit using the kinds of books you get in the yarn store -- and failing miserably -- this book had me knitting in a couple of nights.  This would be a great gift wrapped with some nice knitting needles (bamboo is sustainable) and some organic cotton yarn.










I learned to crochet from my mom, so I have been doing that for years.  Therefore, I can't vouch as personally for Stoller's ability to teach crochet.  However, what I can tell you is that, with all due respect to those who favor the hook or the sticks, some things you knit and some things you crochet.  Some yarns look prettier knitted, some look better crocheted.  Sometimes you want the texture created by one, sometimes the other.  Learn both.








I hope this helps your holiday shopping! 
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment