Monday, May 7, 2012

Random Acres

Lest you think that my garden is always a triumph of proper planning (ha!), let me introduce you to the area that I fondly call "random acres."

Last year, as you might remember, I had a horrid onion harvest.  Most of my seed onions were still hard little balls at the end of the season, and I was so mad when we forked up the patch that I took most of them and just shoved them down into the ground again.  Maybe they'd sprout, maybe they'd rot.  I didn't care.

Well, sprout they did, both in the fall and now the spring.  Several of them are sporting thick, oniony stems that look like they would make respectable leek substitutes if I pulled them right now, but I won't be doing that.  Instead, I plan to give them a chance to see if they finally give me an onion bulb or two.

And see those little guys in front?  Those are volunteer potatoes.  I have no idea where they came from.  Perhaps I missed a few potatoes when harvesting last year; perhaps the blossoms dropped seeds.  Maybe I started putting semi-rotted potatoes from the bin into the ground to see what would happen; I don't have any memory.  What I do know is that I have seven random potatoes growing in a straight line in the middle of my patch.  I can't wait to see how they do and what they are!

Combine this with my usual crop of volunteer dill, volunteer tomatoes, and a pretty paltry showing of volunteer cilantro, and this is starting to shape up to be the season of random veggies!

What is surprising you in your garden this year?
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment