Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Fall on the Microfarm

So here I sit in southwestern Ohio in October.  You might imagine that I'm busy harvesting squash, pumpkins, apples, and leeks, all while enjoying a nip in the air and frost in the mornings.

Nope.  Mild nights and days in the 70s or lower 80s, and I'm harvesting tomatoes, basil, and peppers.  And as far as I'm concerned, this can continue until next March, when it can start to warm up again.

While the tomatoes are truly finishing up around here, several plants are still heavy with green fruit.  With no overnight frost in sight, I have no real incentive to go harvest a bunch of pinkish breaker and try to ripen them inside.  The bonus is, these are all high enough on the plants to be out of the reach of the critters.

The basil is forming another huge bush, even though I've put up several batches of pesto and have some plants brought into the sunroom for fresh basil into the cooler months.  I'm trying to let some of my outdoor basil go to seed in hopes of starting my own for free next year.

The peppers, finally, are pretty amusing.  Especially the Early Crisps that you see above -- those have really been neither.  I tried a new spot for my peppers, and they got insufficient sunlight, so only now are we starting to see some large-ish, blocky green peppers starting to emerge.  The same is true for my paprika, from my own seed line (available here!), which have matured late but are bearing an incredible amount of fruit.

Crazy garden.  But I'll take it -- now, let's hope for a nice, warm, snow-free winter.
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment