Friday, September 25, 2015

Almond Snickerdoodles

My mother recently gave me her copy of Modern Approach to Everyday Cooking, a wonderful 1966 cookbook that has so many cookie recipes that I remember from my youth.

One of my favorite is "Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies," which we always made and rolled out to make iced Christmas cookies.  This is tremendously versatile recipe that can turn into basically any kind of cookies you like.  Recently, with the addition of some almond flavoring and a cinnamon/sugar dusting, I've been turning them into sugar cookies.

This is part of my continuing effort to get myself to bake a batch of cookies each week.  We eat far too many cookies around here, and not only is that expensive, but it also introduces GMO ingredients in some cases as well as HFCS.  At least, if I bake one batch a week, I have a bit of quality control. Every little bit helps!

Almond Snickerdoodles
3 cups organic unbleached flour
1/2 t. baking soda (get the kind without sodium aluminum sulfate)
1/2 t. baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) organic butter, melted
2 eggs (free range)
1 cup organic sugar
2 t. almond flavoring

cinnamon and sugar

Sift together the dry ingredients.  Cream the wet ingredients together and add the dry ingredients, mixing continuously. Refrigerate if you feel your dough is too soft to handle.

Form into balls a bit smaller than golf balls.  Roll in a cinnamon/sugar mixture (I like about 1 t. cinnamon for a half cup of sugar) and place on baking sheet.  Flatten with the back of a spoon.

Bake 11 minutes in a 375 oven.

The Analysis

Fast:  The reason I don't bake as much as I should is the time constraint, but, as cookies go, these are about moderate in time investment.

Cheap:  The organic ingredients drive up the price, but I believe these are still less expensive than an all-organic variety at the grocery store.

Good:  Everyone loves a good snickerdoodle, so these are a good bet to have in your repertoire.
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment