- We put up the pop-up greenhouse, which you can see in the photo. I'm hoping to really extend the season on some container tomatoes, peppers, and beans, and this will be a much lighter and sunnier place for the plants to live until it is way too cold and I have to move them into the sunroom.
- I had to make three trips to the grocery to pick things up we needed, but I biked all of those trips. According to my fitness app, that was a total of 13.41 miles that burnt an extra 543 calories while saving a bit of gas and wear and tear on the car.
- I canned beans from our garden. Not many, mind you, but I'm slowly amassing enough beans to make for some meals for Mr. FC&G.
- I worked a bit on the blanket I'm making from yarn ends from my projects for Carrot Creations. It takes a lot of time, but I'm slowly getting a cozy all-organic cotton blanket from the yarn ends that would otherwise go to compost or clutter up a shelf.
- We made a veggie pizza with onions, plus peppers and basil from the garden. This gave us a meat-free meal that even Mr. FC&G, the resident meat-eater, enjoyed, and it was healthy and cheap.
- With a cool spell over the weekend, I turned off the AC and let the cool air flood into the main level of the house.
- Similarly, we are now only using the window AC at night in the bedroom as needed and trying to leave the whole-house AC off to save money.
Monday, September 14, 2015
Seven Sustainable Things
Posted by Jennifer Lorenzetti at 4:17 PM