Monday, April 4, 2011

Sausage and Rice Burritos with Dandelion Green Salad


We are back from our nearly-annual trip to Key West, and as always, the island has given me inspiration for some fast, cheap, and good meals (drawn from a week of leisurely, expensive, and good meals while there!).  This is my meat-laced take on a veggie entree from one of our favorite Mexican places on Duval Street.  Obviously, to return it to its vegetarian state, just leave out the sausage.

Sausage and Rice Burritos

1 package sausage (I had some smoked kielbasa from Landes in the freezer)
6 whole-wheat tortillas
2 cups instant brown rice
1 clove garlic
chopped spinach and cilantro (Mine were from my garden, already booming this year.)
1 large can tomato sauce
8 oz smoked cheddar cheese (I got mine at Trader Joe's)

Cook the sausage on the stovetop in a covered pan with about an inch of water (you can skip this step if you use pre-cooked sausage).  Cook the rice according to package directions, adding a pinch of salt and a crushed garlic clove.

Mix cooked rice with chopped greens and place 2-3 large spoonfuls onto a tortilla.  Top with 4-5 slices of sausage.  Roll and place seam-side down in a baking pan.  When you have made all 6 burritos, top with tomato sauce and cheese, and bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes or until cheese is brown.

Oh, and the salad?  Mr. FC&G was broadforking the garden so we could plant onions yesterday, and he asked me for a basket.  He came into the house with a beautiful array of dandelion sprouts, declaring, "It isn't weeding; it's harvesting!"  What a wonderful, nutritious, and free addition to our meal!

The Analysis

Fast:  Like all of my favorite meals, this comes together quickly.  Perhaps 20 minutes of prep plus the baking time.

Cheap:  This does a nice job of stretching your expensive sausage, which is important if you are splurging, as we do, on the most organic options out there.  This will be even less expensive this summer, when I can add some shredded zucchini and some diced tomatoes.  And did I mention how cheap (free!) those dandelion greens are?

Good:  A yummy and nutritious meal with all four food groups and some leftovers for the next couple of meals.
Pin It!

1 comment :

  1. I have never ate dandelion salad but my mom has and says it id delicious I love the recipes you shared here come see what I shared http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete