Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sustainable Bookshelf: Survival Mom

Those of us in the blogosphere know Lisa Bedford as The Survival Mom, thanks to her successful and well-written blog of the same name.  That's why I'm happy to be part of her blog ring, and I am especially happy to be able to review her book, which debuted this week.

The prepper community is, paradoxically, getting more attention and becoming harder to access than ever before.  Prepping has become the new reality show fascination, but this focus on the extremes for ratings' sake creates the impression that one would have to be partially insane to take an interest in how one would handle a disaster of any scale.  Those of us who do get started with prepping find some of the role models out there to be helpful but intimidating:  some of the more popular prepper blogs will give you tons of good ideas, but you will also lose a few nights' sleep worrying about how you will keep your family alive and thriving if civilization permanently collapses.

Bedford's book certainly gets you started preparing for the very worst, but along the way, you will also get your act in gear to better handle what I think are the most likely prepping scenarios:  extreme weather events, temporary grid problems (that is, power outages), and economic problems like job loss or inflation.

The book is organized in chapters that address some of the most common preparedness needs, like water, food storage, living off the grid, safety and security, and finances.  It includes a number of checklists, family assignments (most of which look to be more fun than scary for the young ones, even if they have a serious purpose), definitions, and Survival Mom Profiles.  I sat down and read through the book at one go, and I already picked up a number of ideas that I want to pursue further.  (Who knew that you could buy a drywall substitute that makes your walls more storm and fire resistant?  Oh, Mr. FC&G:  I have a project for you!)

Although I read the book quickly and enjoyed its conversational tone, I will be revisiting it in short order, starting to work my way through chapter-by-chapter and taking the tips that best suit my family's need to prepare.  Having an expert mind like Bedford lead me through the prepping process will help me feel better about not forgetting anything important and being sure that we are ready for the potential problems most likely to occur.

Bedford's book is a highly-readable, highly-accessible, and highly-valuable addition to any home library, whether you are preparing for an EMP grid collapse or the next snow storm.  After all, when it comes to the health and safety of your family, survival is a mom's/woman's job!

Note:  I was not compensated for this review other than receiving a copy of the book.  My opinions on this book are my own, as are the opinions expressed throughout this blog.







Pin It!

2 comments :

  1. I think it's fabulous...of course, I'm a little biased....I'm on page 16 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! Nice mention. You must be thrilled to be an official Survival Mom!

      Delete