Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Greenhouse is Back!

Last year was our first year putting our greenhouse up over garden soil to get a jump on the season.  And with the absolutely pathetic gardening year that followed, I have to say that the greenhouse portion of things was the most successful.  I finally got a good crop of peas for the first time ever, and I was pretty thrilled with having a few weeks of peas to nibble fresh and to start putting in our meals.  Unfortunately, the carrots did wonderfully until we took the greenhouse down, and then their tops were mowed down by rabbits.  I really think that had a lot to do with the suddenly-hot season, which made the rabbits seek moisture anywhere they could.

In any event, we just put up the greenhouse for this year, and I can't wait to plant.  As you can see, we have the cucumber trellis deployed to catch the little pea vines, and we have our first layer of sifted compost (humus) down as well.  I have dedicated this week to allowing soil and humus to warm up, and then I will plant my peas and carrots this weekend.

The interior of that greenhouse smells absolutely heavenly with the freshly-turned soil and the fresh humus.  If ever there were a sign of spring, it must be the smell of the ground preparing to receive the first garden seedlings of the season.

Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment