Monday, March 14, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake


Spring is taunting us here in the Midwest, with temps in the upper 50s one day and the lower 30s the next.  I'm cruising into spring on fumes, just trying to get through until the next warm day, and what I need is what they used to call a "spring tonic."  Only, I'm not jonesing for nettle tea; I want strawberries.

Of course, my plants have only started to send up hints of green, and it is far to early for a visit to the u-pick.  Thank heavens last summer I put up several quarts of frozen goodness, just waiting for me to need a pick-me-up. 

I like to eat the berries plain, but they are a treat over shortcake.  If you didn't have the foresight to freeze some berries last summer, you may be able to get some good deals on fruit at the store (although it is likely to have come from a far-off place, like Chile, so eat these imports sparingly if you must).  Or, I must confess, a little buttercream icing turns shortcake into a heck of a breakfast roll.  Either way, the cake itself is pretty healthy, with very little sugar.  With berries, it is just the thing to tide me over to warm days and gardening season!

Strawberry Shortcake

1/4 c. turbinado sugar
2 c. unbleached white flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 c. organic butter, melted
1 egg (farm fresh, if possible)
2/3 cup milk (hormone free is my choice)

Mix ingredients and spread in greased (I use lard) 6x8 baking pan.  Bake at 450 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until done.  Top with strawberries and enjoy!

The Analysis

Fast:  I like this recipe because it is quick enough to mix one up right after dinner or while I work in the morning.  It also is pretty much a one-bowl recipe, so not that many dishes to wash.

Cheap:  I haven't done the math, but I figure this is a cheaper, healthier solution to our sugar cravings.

Good:  What a great vehicle for the last of the previous year's strawberries!
Pin It!

1 comment :